Most people have great ideas but never actually get round to starting the business because they think you need all this time and money to get started.
You can validate most ideas for less than it costs for lunch and it usually takes less than a day to do.
How do I know? Well you COOUULLLDD I’ve done it one or two times before, and its how most of the millionaires today actually made their millions. You don’t honestly think they spent months or years testing out every single idea do you?! Come on guys….
They created the simplest, cheapest, most `ghetto` form of their product or idea and tried it out with their target market using the easiest and cheapest method possible (this keeps their opportunity cost to a minimum)
Okay okay, so how is this relevant to YOU?
Well… most people think their ideas need to have a serriiioouusssllyy complicated website, full scale manufacturing plant, ridiculously sized premises, stock by the tonne-load and a whole bunch of employees to be successful. ehhh-ehhhh WRONG!
Truth is, you need NONE of this.
If someone is really interested in your product, they’ll buy it (or at least look at it) regardless of whether it had a big OTT marketing and operations system in place or not. And providing you are offering something of VALUE to the customer they will keep coming back and hopefully refer you to others too!
So why spend a fortune to find out the same information you could find out for a miniscule of the price!
You ghetto marketing and viability test might be a hand typed ‘guerrilla style’ letter sent to the local businesses in your area advertising your product or services, or a simple craigslist or eBay ad, or even just a poster or questionnaire on Facebook asking peoples opinions on it.
My advice is to do 3 things;
1. Make a really quick and simple flyer
2. Upload this file and post as an image on Craigslist as an ad
3. Walk around your local area and put them up on notice boards, post through letterboxes, walk into local businesses and ask if they will display your ad, and you can even get a little bit cheeky and stick them on the backs of toilet cubicle doors and on walls in corridors etc!
4. If you get just get 1 order or customer response, you know its something people want and are willing to buy. So NOW you can go and spend a little bit more on developing your idea and editing your ad’s, now you know its a viable product but be sure to ask HOW they found you (so you can track and analyse what works best!) However you get diddly squat back, you can cut your losses now and move onto something else.
With this method you have achieved two things:
1. You might have made some money if someone calls you up or emails you or looks on your website and actually buys your product or service
2. You have found out what people respond to and will BUY. This is UBER-IMPORTANT! Starting a business based on fulfilling REAL needs and wants is like sellotaping a massive target for success to your back!
Remember, if you never stop trying, you are BOUND to succeed EVENTUALLY!
Hope you learned something!
Your pal, Natalie XO
Be Sociable, Share!
P.S If you enjoyed reading this, sign your ass up to my mailing list HERE for eeeevvveeeeeen more!